Candle Care and Safety Illuminate Your Space Responsibly
At Skin and Bone Apothecary, we want you to enjoy the soothing and transformative experience of our ritual candles while ensuring your safety and the longevity of your candles. Please read and follow these candle care and safety guidelines to create a harmonious and worry-free ambiance.
- Trim the Wick: Before each use, trim the wick to approximately ¼ inch (0.6 cm) to promote even burning and prevent excessive smoke or soot. A longer wick can cause the flame to become too large or flicker excessively.
- Clear the Area: Ensure the candle is placed on a heat-resistant surface away from flammable objects, drafts, and out of reach of children and pets. Keep it away from curtains, bedding, or any other items that could potentially catch fire.
- Never Leave Unattended: Do not leave a burning candle unattended. Ensure someone is present in the room at all times when the candle is lit.
- Keep Away from Combustible Materials: Make sure there are no flammable materials, such as paper, books, or fabrics, in close proximity to the candle. Maintain a safe distance of at least 12 inches (30 cm) between burning candles and any objects.
- Avoid Air Currents: Keep candles away from open windows, fans, or areas with drafts. Air currents can affect the flame's stability and increase the risk of accidents.
- Burn in Intervals: To prevent overheating and tunneling, burn the candle for no more than 3-4 hours at a time. Allow the candle to cool and solidify before relighting.
General Safety Precautions:
- Extinguish Properly: Use a snuffer or gently blow out the flame to extinguish the candle. Avoid using water or blowing forcefully, as this may cause hot wax to splatter or the wick to ignite.
- Check for Debris: Before relighting the candle, ensure no foreign objects, such as matches or wick trimmings, are present in the wax. Remove any debris to prevent potential fire hazards.
- Protect the Surface: Place the candle on a heat-resistant surface or a candle holder designed to catch any dripping wax. This will protect the surface beneath the candle from heat damage.
- Maintain a Safe Distance: Keep burning candles at least 4 inches (10 cm) apart from each other to prevent excessive heat buildup and potential accidents.
In Case of Emergency:
- Have a Fire Safety Plan: Familiarize yourself and your household members with fire safety procedures. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby and know how to use it effectively. In case of a fire, evacuate the premises immediately and contact emergency services.
Remember: Candle flames can be unpredictable, and accidents can happen even with the utmost caution. Always exercise discretion and prioritize safety when using candles.
By following these candle care and safety guidelines, you can create a serene and secure environment while enjoying the gentle glow and calming ambiance of our ritual candles. Illuminate your space responsibly and allow the transformative energy of our candles to enhance your rituals and elevate your spiritual journey.